General rules and information
Training area (the Dojang)
1. Students must bow upon entering and leaving the dojang, whilst an instructor is present or flags are displayed.
2. All instructions issued by an instructor or senior student should be carried out, without dispute, and to the best of your ability at all times.
3. Courtesy and respect should be shown towards all instructors and students at all times, both in and out of the dojang. Disrespect shown towards any instructors at any time will result in expulsion from the academy.
4. Students must answer clearly “yes sir” "yes Miss" or “yes maam” to black belts at all times.
5. If you are late for class you must proceed directly to the front of the dojang and wait for the instructor to bow and signal for you to join the class. Persistent lateness is considered disrespectful to both the instructor and the rest of the class and may result in the student being refused admission to the class or cancellation of membership.
6. Permission to leave the class must be obtained from the instructor at all times, (health and safety, fire regs etc) and the same procedure, as 5 should be followed. Student should avoid leaving class where possible.
7. Swearing and abusive language is not permitted in class at any time.
8. During training, the approved uniform must be worn, including the appropriate belt and badges. It should be clean, ironed, a good fit and in good condition.
9. Spectators are not permitted in class at any time unless given specific permission by the instructor.
10. Students must not communicate with, nor allow spectators/parents to distract them at any time during class.
11. All senior ranked students are responsible in ensuring that lower ranked and new students follow the rules of the dojang.
12. Students should never call the instructor by their first name.
13. All mobile phones and other electronic devises are switched off.
14. All sparring kit must be ITF approved to comply with the insurance requirements of the instructor and school. For this reason, sparring kit is generally purchased via the intructor. This is not mandatory, but should you wish to purchase from an outside source, please speak with the instructor first.
Parents who are in the dojang watching their children in the class:
Tempting as it might be, please resist prompting or correcting your children from the sidelines. They need to learn to take direction from the instructor rather than Mum or Dad when in the class. Please bear in mind that the background noise of conversation is distracting both to the students and the instructors. Please keep the noise level down. Please have your phones and other devices on silent. Thank you for your co-operation, it’s appreciated.
Health and safety
1. All students have a responsibility to inform Alton Martial Arts Academy and their Instructor of any health issues that may arise in the future (not listed on their enrolment form) that may be detrimental to themselves or other students whilst engaged in class activities.
Tournaments and Competitions
1. Students cannot participate in any tournaments without the prior knowledge of their instructor. This includes both Taekwon-Do (ITF or otherwise) and Non-Taekwon-Do tournaments.
2. Students / parents must always display good sportsmanship and behaviour at all tournaments, competing in the true spirit of Taekwon-Do, regardless of the outcome of a particular contest. Any conduct, which reflects poorly on the reputation of the school, may result in expulsion.
3. All complaints, and inquiries, must be handled by the instructor/ coach only
4. All senior students are expected to assist in an official capacity at all events, particularly those hosted by their own instructor/school/association.
5. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure they have their own appropriate protective equipment.
6. Full uniform, must be worn whilst competing, and during any presentation ceremony.
7. Students must ensure they have a clear knowledge of tournament rules and follow them as closely as possible.
Whilst additional training is generally encouraged, students must inform the instructor if they are training at another club/school. The instructor reserves the right to request the student select where they wish to train, if it is seen to have a detrimental effect on their performance and/or attitude, or to be a negative influence on other students.
Students are not to recruit for others schools from within the club
Training at other schools cannot clash with training at a students registered school.
Instructor reserves the right to cancel membership if this request is not followed.
Students cannot seek promotion from other schools without the prior knowledge and blessing of their primary instructor.
Injuries incurred whilst training at other schools, or participating in non-endorsed events, will not be covered under the school’s insurance policy.